Thursday, January 1, 2009

2009

It wasn't too long ago that I watched the New Millennium roll in with all of it's splendor. Sadly, the next eight years went down the crapper. Y2K, George W. Bush's election, 9/11, War on Terror, "Axis of Evil", Dubya's re-election, more war, more terror, economic meltdown, recession, and now we're back to where we started: a new president-elect, and the masses scared. Only, this time it is a Democratic president and the population isn't scared of technology, but rather the people who use it.
What do I think will happen this year? Not much. President Obama (yes, he will be the president, any skeptics will have to just deal with it. Denial time is over.) will start a slow but desperately needed turn-around for the economy, but won't have it attributed to his name in the history books because it's too massive to fix in one term. There will be more terror, and the financial crunches will tighten in the world, even though people continue to purchase Apple products valued in the $500 range. More people will accept Global Warming and realize that the miniscule degree adjustments really do make a detrimental difference. New trends will grip the US. And people will still be dying in third-world countries of diseases for which we have cures abounding in industrial areas. So, yeah, for the most part, everything will stay the same this year.
This does't have to be the case, but we all know that and I digress because that's a rant for another day.
For me, 2009 shall be a good year. And if it isn't you ask? --- Then I'll make it one. From what I can see, I've got school beyond the clutches of the High School Monster, amazing (-ly crazy) friends, a family who loves me, a boyfriend who (unexplaibly) adores me, and the outdoors to calm my phillosophic, hyperactive, overanylizing, and obsessive mind on the days when things take a down-turn. So, yeah, I pretty much demand this year be good despite the bad.
As for the "new years resolutions"... I don't need a specific time of year to make me decide when to better myself, I can do it when I please, thank you very much.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Since 2009 was so utterly devastating to so many people and it was just the cap on 7 previous devastating years, I think it will allow Obama to shoot out of the starting gate and make peoples' heads spin by all of the things he fixes. You're right, of course, that Bush has done so much damage during his stint as top dog that there is no way Obama (or anyone else) could ever fix things in one or even two terms. But he'll get a hell of a good start and hopefully the next prez will follow in his footsteps.

Sherry said...

Glad you are back! I got tired of reading the same old thing every time I checked. I know your life is more interesting than that and I agree, here's hoping that Obama can start to turn around what that idiot Bush did to us for 8 long years.

Anonymous said...

glad you are looking up
and happy high school is almost over

Unhinged said...

I think I'm going to demand that 2009 be a good year for me, too.

Hear that, Powers That Be?

It better be good, dang it...