Wednesday, July 30, 2008

One Step Below Heaven!

Wii games, swimming, Chinese candy, Donnie Darko jokes, bass guitars, and above all else, my boyfriend! Tuesday, all day, I was at my boyfriend's house and just about one step below heaven. I didn't have the usual chaos of life at home to deal with, but I suppose that whenever anyone is away from home, they enjoy themselves because it's a change of pace.
For the first time, I played Wii Super Smash Bros. Brawl... and died many times. Despite death and not knowing anything about how to play, it was entertaining. Also, Corey has an in-ground pool in his yard, and I can squarely say that water is my element, so that was amazing! I swam around like I was a fish that would die if I got out!
My friend Jordanne, who introduced Corey and me, lives a few houses down from him and we frequently hang out. One day we watched Donnie Darko (apparently, it's a cult smash hit!) and since then it has slowly seeped it's way into our lives without us even knowing it. We made fun of how obsessed the people on the bonus disk were and how they said they saw things like it and believe it to have religious connections. But, now, we find ourselves quoting lines and pretending to pull hoods over our heads "Donnie Darko-style." So, when I headed out for the day at Corey's, I also took along a bunny mask ( "Why do you wear that stupid bunny suit?" "Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?") to spook Jordanne with. It was worth the laugh!
And as usual, Corey and I practiced bass. I'm currently still trying to obtain muscle memory and the proper speed with which I will move up and down the bass's neck. So far, I've gotten to attempt the opening for Another One Bites the Dust as well as Under Pressure (both by Queen, if you've never had the pleasure of hearing Freddy Mercury sing), and today I started to try out Animal I Have Become by Three Days Grace. Honestly, I'm not good at it, but I plan on getting better. It still thrills me beyond belief when I get a few notes to harmonize.
Then, best of all, all of this I got to do with my boyfriend. Most people do not get a chance to talk about heaven, because, you have to be dead to know it, but, I figure this was fairly close (and yes, I do know that reads like a 13 year-old, gum-popping, Nancy Drew-reading girl's myspace blog rather than that of a 17 year-old, salad munching, Stephen King-absorbing girl's blogger).
Tuesday combined a mass of my favorite things into a lovely day. Too bad every day can't be like that.

4 comments:

DiAnne said...

"the pleasure of listening to Freddie Mercury sing..."

As long as it isn't WATCHING Freddie Mercury sing. That boy was one weird-looking fella. He was an amazing performer, but there's an obvious reason he became popular in the pre-MTV era. His teeth on a music video is not a good thing.

I'm glad you enjoyed yourself. Next time, I'm gonna crash the pool party! I can't Skinny Dip, but I can "Chunky Dunk" as Grandma says!

Beth said...

Hey, I'll gladly let you crash, but clothing is required!

Anonymous said...

wow, sounds like you had the time of your life. i wish i could hang out like that w/ one of my friends. B/c i don't date it couldn't they couldn't be my boyfriend, but as lonely as i get around here i would gladly hand out with anyone of my friends for the whole day. hope you have more days like that soon. - Michelle

Anonymous said...

AWW! that sounded so sweet!