Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Reprieve

The entire Eastern side of Ohio got a reprieve from the "case of the Mondays" that usually comes with having to drudge into class after a long weekend. From what I hear there was 492 school cancellations in the North-Eastern Ohio region, but don't quote me on that number. It was already planned that my school would have a pre-scheduled 2-hour delay (something new my school is trying out this year, and I have yet to figure out why) and Sunday night it was about 11pm that I got the first phone call from a friend saying that we may not have school on Monday! Eventually, it started coming down to the wire and the schools directly north of me and south of me were all closed long before, and ours had yet to close. Mom was starting to say that we needed to head to bed soon so I headed downstairs to my room; all of the sudden I hear pounding feet shaking the ceiling of my room. School is canceled!
So, all day Monday I slack off and enjoy the fact that I don't have any homework. Granted, I still have house work to catch up on since I've been so swamped this year with school, but it all eventually got done. :P
Later into the evening people start thinking that we might not even have school on Tuesday! The night drifts on and there are only three schools closed by my "bedtime" and I have to give up and try to sleep... yet again I'm still awake at one in the morning anyway, but that is aside from the point. (No thanks to Puppy and her BF, but seriously, you guys have some interesting conversations! LOL!)
This morning at about 4:50 my mind wakes up and I become aware that I can still try to sleep for another hour and a half. But, I don't fall asleep, so I end up just reading. 6am rolls around and I crawl off of my air mattress (I'll fill you in on that later) and check the internet to see if my town has school canceled. Nope, just like the day before, the schools directly north and south of me are canceled, but we are not! I trudge upstairs and ask grandma if the radio has any more recent updates on school closings and she says that my school is closed! YES! I go back downstairs and call Cookie Monster like I promised her I would if school was closed and then I get on the internet again. This time the website says that my school is closed, and that it was updated at 6:10... ten minutes after I had checked it and it said we still had school in session! Oh, well...
I tried for sleep again and it didn't come, yet again! Elusive little sneak! So, I curl up in that stupid air mattress (I'd rather sleep on the floor, but Mom isn't too keen on that idea) and read some more. Even though I have about 300 pages left in my book, I want to finish it all today!
So, here I am again, it's 7:30am and I have no intention of going to sleep! (But, boy oh boy would it be good to get some sleep!)
*raises a glass* Here's a toast to snow days!!!

4 comments:

DiAnne said...

and just think...next year you will still have to hire a snow plow, put on your snow shoes and trudge your way to the Kent State University campus because KSU does not have snow days. Your sister will get to lollygag in bed and you'll be bored out of your mind at some inane school lecture. Mwaa ha ha!!

Beth said...

Oh, well. It will be worth it. Post secondary = free college!
---
On another note, I did go to sleep! I don't know what came over me, but I just went to my bed to pet my cat and I just zonked out! But, hey, I deserve a little sleep, right?

Anonymous said...

YEAH SNOW DAYS!!
and i think that 400 somthing sounds right.
think we will have one tomorrow??
-ELMO

Beth said...

Not sure... we may get lucky!