Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Insanity

The headlines of every newspaper should read: School Causing Mental Breakdowns and Insanity in Millions of Teens!
Exams suck.
Now that that's on the record, I can continue to back up that headline.
Some people will look back on their high school years and think "man, those were the best years of my life, I won't ever want to forget those beautiful memories."
But, there's always the other end of the spectrum. Someone may reflect back to their freshman, sophomore, junior, and senior years as the worst, most torturous, dreadful of their life. There is so much drama and emotion tied into school. It's a near-deadly mix when you combine all of your classes with homework, house work, friends, family, exams, scheduling, home life, social life, school life, and (if you're lucky enough- or unlucky enough- depending on your past relationships) a boyfriend or girlfriend. It can get out of hand...
I can stand in the hallway before school starts and hear hundreds of conversations. People walk by and it just seems as if everyone is kind of loosing their head about things recently. Including myself, I must admit.

Now I am left wondering, "will things get better for anyone?"
All of my friends are having their own conflicts (both internal and with other people) and we're all trying to help each other, but the reality is: how can one help a friend to cope when one can't even cope in the first place?

Today my friends and I have talked and passed notes and made phone calls... it seems as if each one has been all "doom and gloom" with not a single strand of anything good happening in the lives of anyone.

It seems strange to me, why is it that when one thing goes bad, that it seems to have a domino effect? One word seems to be inscribed on everyone's domino chain somewhere: past.

I've been watching five of my friends and I'm fairly sure that I can see their impending doom (sadly at times I think I've even seen my own) coming both directly and indirectly from that singular domino.

Now, if only someone could figure out how to take out bad dominoes and leave just the good dominoes.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

it all will get better soon.
this domino effect donesn't last and i don't even think that there is one (or a big one atleat.
think positive miss ooom and gloom

Anonymous said...

sorry i screwed that up it should read...(or a big one atleast).

Anonymous said...

and it also says:
think positive miss doom and gloom

sorry for the mistakes

Beth said...

who wrote those comments? Was it Cookie Monster... she's the only one who I could think that would go back and fix her own messages and say sorry... well, other than me, that is! lol
(And just a side note, "atleast" is not a word... it's "at least"... lol, sorry, just had to say it, sorry, but it bothered me)

Anonymous said...

The domino effect that you talk about has been going on for centuries. The reason why most look back on high school (and college) as their best years is simply because of the freedom that one has in that stage of life. However, the older you get the more responsibility you get. This makes life more tough to deal with and can become over whelming at some times.

Now for the bad dominoes. Imagine a child seperated their parents. Their world is literally rocked and emotional distress enters into their life. Everything that they have known, loved, and felt safe in has simply left and now their is a hole that needs to be filled. So the child walks through life attempting to fill this hole that only their parent can fill but they are no where to be found. So the "doom and gloom" enters their lives wondering what is the purpose.

See this is how every one of us are. As a creation we desire to be with the creator and we do not even know it. The peace, love, acceptance that each one of desires can only come from that creator. But instead of searching out the creator we simply look for all that in worldly things (such as junk we don't need, friends, boy/girlfriends, etc.) instead of going to that one person that can fill that hole that each of us has, Jesus Christ. We are the lost children that are seperated from our heavenly father because of our own sinful desires.

I remember being where you are and seeing many of my friends there too. It just breaks your heart and you wonder why it is like this. Go into school expecting a miracle. Rely not on yourself or friend to fix the problem, but rather let God move. Don't settle for second best but expect God to give you the bless you deserve for your faithfullness. And then sit back and watch the lives of everyone around you change right before your eyes. It can happen but you must not settle for what you have but for the greater things of God.

You are awesome cheeka!

P. Chris

Anonymous said...

it was me elmo that wrote the first three
could you not tell by the spelling error

Anonymous said...

good comment p. Chris

Beth said...

I think that I just might bring up this domino discussion in U-Turn tonight if there's time. Thanks P.Chris! See you and Anna tonight.